Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Opportunity vs Necessity

It's that time of year. Where summer is at it's hottest. I hear the rumble of school bus engines, the hum of the fridge is my only companion. It's a time to start a new year, a new adventure, a new idea.

It's also a time of nose to the grindstone. Of getting stuff done. Of managing the house, the car pool, the schedule.

It's a unique blend of endless opportunities and untold necessities.

I much prefer the opportunities. A new thing is exciting! It's fun and the workload seems light because it's all fresh! There is little drudgery when an opportunity comes. It's easy to walk away from cause I'm not invested. It's easy to go a little bit further because something else new might come to light.

But necessity. Ugh!

It's the same every day. Get the laundry in the washer, move it to the dryer, fold or not. Repeat. Same with dishes, meals, grocery shopping and house cleaning. It's the same cycle over and over and over and over. Until I die.

I often scream in my head What's the point!? Didn't I just do this?

But the people in my family (and I) like to have clean clothes and dishes. It's nice to have the snacks we all can eat and be somewhat healthy. I like a clean tub and sink. It's still not fun.

That's the balance of life though. We have opportunities, but they must be weighed against the necessities.

I could spend all my time looking for new things, filling up the calendar with meetings and appointments. I could pursue writing conferences and watch you tube videos on how to craft stories

ALL DAY LONG!!

But if I don't manage the necessities of life, they will eventually compound into a ball of nastiness that will completely take away all the joy of the exciting opportunity.

I will fold laundry while listening to a podcast. I will batch cook my meals to a you tube video, I will choose audio books to clean to.

We have endless opportunity to pursue how we manage the necessity. 

1 comment: