Wednesday, September 19, 2018

When did my little boys become young men?

It happened this summer. It hadn't mattered how many blog posts I read, or how intentional I had been. It hadn't mattered how many old biddies had told me to pay attention because they grow up so fast. With little participation on my end, my little boys have grown up. They surpass me in height. They consume about as much food as an elephant

Without me realizing it, my little boys are becoming young men.

I no longer am their first source of news sharing. More and more often I have to let go of decisions because they have already been made. They go to houses where I barely know the parents. Kids I have met one time are coming to our house. They go to camps with hundreds of other kids and I'm not even asked to be a chaperone.

All of a sudden, my little boys are becoming young men.

There are fewer snuggles on the couch. There are more jokes about body functions. Sometimes there are eye rolls and sarcasm and dismissive tones with siblings. There are projects parents aren't allowed to be involved in. s. There are more conversations about world events. There are teachers who are vocal about opposing opinions. There is more video game time and less outdoor fun. My boys have more accounts and passwords than I do.

When did these little boys become young men?

Now there are movies and shows previously forbidden that they meet the age requirements for. There's talk of vocations and careers that are legitimate. There's less focus on youTube and more on making the videos. There are books read and discussed about adult themes for school. There's conversations and car rides with dad while Mom is at home to make sure the fridge is stocked and those stinky socks get washed. There are devices and chats and inside jokes I can't begin to understand

I didn't see my little boys becoming young men. 

No comments:

Post a Comment