Wednesday, September 26, 2018

What's gonna work

Several years ago, my youngest discovered a show called Wonder Pets. It was a sweet if repetitive show starring four cute fuzzy baby animals that worked together to solve a problem. Their motto was "What's gonna work? Teamwork!" On repeat. It's a decent show with a good set of values that sometimes we need to work together to get a problem solved. This motto has been embraced by my family of independents.

How you might ask?

As much as it really is easier for me to just get the crap done at home that needs to get done, I think it's important for my kids to know how to do the crap to. For a variety of reasons.

#1. They live here too. They wear the clothes and eat off the dishes. They are also going to the bathroom and using the shower. They tromp thru mud and get things dirty. They clutter up the living room with Xbox controllers and video game cases. So they should know how to do a load of laundry, load and unload the dishwasher, put their shoes on the drip pan and pick up their things.

#2. Someday they will live in a space I do not pay for. I want to go into their house and be able to sit on the couch without feeling like I need a Hazmat suit. I'm not saying I'm gonna go in with a white glove, I wold fail that test. But I would like to not smell smells or see vermin.

#3. Someday they might live with someone else. A roommate or spouse. I want that person to know my child has some basic manners. They can count on my kid not to leave dishes in the sink. To throw out the empty milk carton and to keep the laundry pile in their bedroom. Basically I want the other person to know I raised a responsible adult.

#4. I want my kids to become responsible adults. We all know the kids that haven't lifted a finger. The ones who had everything done for them. They don't know how to pay bills or grocery shop. I don't want my kids to be those "adults." I want my kid to walk into an interview and know their polo shirt is clean. I want to know that they will tip the food delivery guy. They will hold a door for someone with their hands full.

#5. I want my kids to work well with others. A lot of being an adult is putting aside our own selfish natures and working with others idiosyncracies. We need to work on a presentation or a sales team. Those cooperative skills start at home.

Let's make sure our little and not so little people have them for the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment