Thursday, June 25, 2015

My secret self

I have a secret. It's not big or earth shattering, but it is a part of myself I tend to keep hidden.

I am really an introvert. I can be out going and sweet and kind fora long while. This isn't something that came about from working. I used to feel that way when I stayed at home too. I could be good with the kids and getting things done and being all gracious and compassionate with the kids. But I would eventually hit a wall. You can only answer the same five questions so many ways before a mamma snaps.

I think my introverted self is often neglected. As a mom and woman I tend to have a nurturing side. So I like to help people and reach out. To listen to their problems and empathize. But that can suck a person dry as well. I want to be a team player and help out. I want to be compassionate and loving. To be Jesus with skin on. But at the end of the day I just need some peace and quiet.

So I take a cue from the Man of God I'm trying to model my life after. I take breaks. I seek out solitude. If I start to feel that wall come up close behind me, I get away to my comfy chair and watch a show. Sometimes I turn on a show for the kids and just go upstairs. I lock the door and veg out. Seeking time for myself fills me back up so I can pour into others. An empty pitcher can't refresh anybody.

There's my secret, I like to veg out. I crave silence and solitude. If I don't have them on a regular basis I get cranky and start shoving people away until I get them. So it's really for the sake of others that I need some time alone. It's not always easy to find that time, but it is always worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment