Friday, July 10, 2015

Friends

Friends are hard to find. They can be hard to keep as well.

For me, I had to learn what it meant to be a friend and how to keep one. We moved away from our home of six years. In that time I made some really special ladies that I call my sister friends. We saw or communicated with each other on a daily basis. When we moved, I went thru a physical mourning process. I still get sad some times. But I'm slowly learning to make some new friends while holding on to the older ones. Here are a few tips on how to make and keep friends.

1. Find time to be together. With our without kids. You gotta make time together a priority. Go to dinner, hang out at a park. Go to library story time. Meet at a mall play place. Go to the movies or a book club. You gotta invest some time to get to know one another.

2. Be willing to share and be open. Don't always be the listener. We feel safe with people that have shared equally with us. That brings me to the next point

3. Be willing to listen to someone else. It's ok to share our feelings, but don't always be the one pouring out. You need to listen to someone else once in awhile. It gives you perspective on your own problems and it helps build a bridge of connection.

4. Get away together. As much as you can. You can get a hotel room pretty cheap. There's concerts and hanging out and exploring to do all over the US. If you can't do a whole weekend, host a sleep over at someone's house

5. Recognize that your husband can't be your only confidante. Yes, husbands are wonderful, but they aren't women. They are men. Programmed to want to fix things. So, if you want someone who will just listen and let you vent.... You got to make some lady friends.

6. Be creative in your communication. Send a text, email, call, facebook message, letter or funny photo. Share parts of your day together.

Those are my tips on making and keeping friends. Be the kind of friend you want to have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment