Saturday, July 18, 2015

The Sharing Place

As a writer, I try to be reading and finding other writers that I can learn from. Part of my calling is to help people find the freedom to be honest and open with one another and themselves. This can be an impossible thing. This past week I found this paragraph in a blogger I follow. Her name is Glennon and she writes over at Momastery. This past week she wrote this on her blog


"But there is no ball. There is no point in which you stop working and just brush your long pretty hair and flit around, untouchable. Done. All better. There is no before and after. Most honest folks with food/body/God/shame/etc. issues will tell you that it’s just the same damn thing, over and over. That you just fall down seven times and get back up eight. That each time you earn a little more wisdom to help you up faster the next time you fall. So I came here today to say: You guys. I got a little jacked up again. And I’m in the middle of the mess now. I’m not at the ball. I’m scrubbing floors: wondering why everyone else gets to dance and make it look so easy. I’m a little angry and confused that I’m almost forty years old and STILL DEALING WITH THIS ..... Why I don’t have all of this figured out yet. Why I can’t just get on with it already.  It’s exhausting, to tell you the ... truth. And embarrassing. But it’s real. The before it’s fixed part is real. The storm before the calm is real. The during is as holy as the after. And it’s okay. It’s a good place to start. - See more at: http://momastery.com/blog/2015/07/08/the-storm-before-calm/"


Although I don't always agree with everything Ms. Melton says theologically, I do believe in her message that we must stop pretending everything is fine. Oh the disease, anxiety disorders, addictions, and so many other issues we could prevent if we could simply lay down our need to be perfect. If we could find a path to each other's brokenness, we would find the root cause of our anxieties and fears. We would have SO MUCH more compassion and love to share with one another. If we could just talk to one another about what is really in our souls we could find peace. We would see we are not alone, and we would see that we can help each other. 

But we live in a fallen world. And people have hidden agendas. The years of brokenness and shame effect who we are. They turn us in to little isolated villages. Where we are surrounded by people like us, but we would never know because we all hid behind the mask of "I am fine" or doing well. 

We can not share with everyone, but we all need someone to share with. Find your people. It is scary as all get out, but the rewards are worth it. 

Share openly, share discerningly, but always be open to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment