Monday, June 27, 2016

Hesitation

I went to church this weekend. That's not really that big of a deal, I go to church most weekends. In fact, you could say, I'm a bit of a church girl. I grew up in the eastern part of Michigan and church was not just part of our life, it WASour life. I loved church. It was where I felt safest. It was a haven for me. Because I knew the rules and I was good at listening. Also, there was music. Always music at church.

Sometimes , though, I'm hesitant to talk about church. I'm hesitant to let people know I go there most Sundays. Because there is so much negativity about church. Or, more accurately, about religion. I'm hesitant to let people know that I make choices in my life based on the Bible and Jesus. I'm not ashamed of my faith, truely I'm not.  I more don't want people to hear of my faith and then stop listening to what I have to say. I don't want someone to feel like they have to be defensive when they are talking with me. I don't want others to avoid certain topics because they feel it will offend me. Most of all, I really don't want people to learn of my faith and then assume I feel the same way that other's who affiliate with the Church and then use their platforms to spew hateful rhetoric. 

I prefer to show my faith thru example. I like to show my faith by being generous. By listening with an open mind. I am being more purposeful about spending time who don't believe the same way I do. My faith gives me courage to look outside my church walls. My faith, is a core part of who I am. I believe that the above actions along with a heart of openness and love allow me to build relationships with people. Through those relationships I can share Love. Not to add to my church's attendance or with some hidden agenda. But to Love because I was Loved.

How do your beliefs shape you?

No comments:

Post a Comment