Friday, July 1, 2016

Motivation

I'm a driven purpose. If the purpose is worth pursuing. And I feel like it. So maybe I'm a half-driven person. But once I grab hold of something I tend to obsess about it until I'm done with it. I tend to get really excited in the beginning, but then lose focus if something is taking to long. I tend to set short, attainable goals. Which is what most motivational speakers do.

Awhile back, my husband and I were talking about our life. About the fact that we wanted to change some things about it. I agreed on the changes. So we started a book and read it together. We worked thru some of the exercises. We bought a special calendar with motivational phrases on it. It was all very inspiring and motivating. But then life started to happen. The kids needed the dentist. I went on anti-depressants and the change we wanted to happen wasn't happening as quickly as we would have liked. I got discouraged and unmotivated. We each started overdoing it on our favorite distractions. In short, you could say we lost steam and just let the train sit at the station.

So how do you break out of that rut? How do you change your life? Where do you find that motivation again? It seems defeatist to me to go back to an old dream. How do I know that the dream will work out this time? How can I avoid getting lost in the middle of the work and lose focus of the end?

I don't know if a dream will work out. But I do know that if my dream keeps coming back up to the surface of my heart, maybe I should be pursuing that. Because there is purpose there alongside the dream. A dream is not just about selfish desires for me. My dreams tend to fall alongside the purpose and calling I have felt on my life. So when I get distracted and lose my way, I give myself some grace and maybe take a week or so to binge on some Netflix, but then I get back to work. I focus on people who took the time to work at their dreams.

One of the motivational sayings on our calendar in August says, "What do you want to have accomplished in December? Start now." It gives me a time line and a short deadline. That works for me. It gives me enough time to develop the dream but not so much time I lose sight of the time-line.

What motivates you? How do you keep focus? How do you get back on track?

No comments:

Post a Comment