Thursday, December 6, 2018

How can we focus on Christmas?

Today, as I sit and listen to some instrumental Christmas music, drink my creme brulee latte and start wrapping up presents, I have to wonder. Is it all worth it? Is my focus where it needs to be?

It's so easy to take this season for granted. To get wrapped up in the ribbons and bows. It's easy to attend the parties and watch the movies that tell us to be generous and excited. It's easy for me to focus on making a perfect batch of cookies for my neighbors instead of taking an hour to invite my neighbor over for a cup of coffee.

It's a lot easier to send out my Christmas greetings than it is to check in with my friends and family thru the rest of the year.

It's easy to embrace a shallow camaraderie with the other present hunters than it is to stop and really ask how someone is doing. It's easier to right a check to the homeless shelter than it is to give up space in the calendar to meet homeless people. 

I find myself constantly asking these questions during the month of December:
Am I more focused on wrapping up presents than on the one who wraps up my wounds?
Am I more enamored with the glitzy Santa Clause than I am with the Christ-child?
Have I taught my kids about what Christ-mas is? Or have I been content to let the culture around me dictate to my kids what Christmas is?

All of the fun, all of the glitz, all of the delicious food and wonderful lights are great things to help our family celebrate. But there are a few things that we try and do each year during the month of December to help our family stay focused on the birth of Jesus Christ.

1. We read a Christmas devotional and have an Advent Calendar. These two things are participatory and help each of our kids learn the story of Christmas. We've done this since our oldest was around four years old. He now looks forward to December and helps us stay on track with the days. Sometimes our schedule gets hectic, but we always try and do this. The calendar has twenty-five days so we start on December 1st.

2. We try and make weekly church services. We try and do this all year. But there's something really special and sacred to me of being at church during this season of Advent. The group anticipation and reminders from the pulpit of what Christ brings to the world (hope, joy, love and peace) really help us focus on Christ.

3. We participate with Samaritan's Purse and pack a shoe box for each kid in our family. This is actually done before Thanksgiving, but it helps get our hearts in a more grateful place for the holiday season. Click on the link to find out how your family can participate in this great adventure.

4. We read a story by Ruth Bell Graham called "One Wintry Night" This is a sweet story that walks us thru God's desire to have a relationship with each of us.

5. We go to Christmas Eve service. Joining with a group of other believers to celebrate and remember the birth of Jesus is a good reminder before we jump into Christmas presents on December 25th. 

No comments:

Post a Comment