Thursday, June 3, 2021

people-pleaser

One of my favorite things is alliteration. Especially in titles. I am a sucker for clever. Do you like it? It's important to me that you do. Because I am a people pleaser.

Most that know me in real like would not describe me as or someone that wilts into the background. If a decision or choice needs to be made I will say something. In fact, I freely offer my opinions to strangers while I am shopping. Rarely will I share my opinion on serious or controversial topics or political views with my friends and family. 

via GIPHY

Why is that? I am even hesitant to post this. Maybe someone will ask me directly what some of my views are. Then I will have to pull out my evasion skills to redirect the conversation. Or pray that my kids need something from me and I won't have to answer. I know part of my hesitation stems from the many years of mask wearing I have done. Some of it comes from wanting people to like me. Having a friend group that is safe enough to be able to have differences is a rare and beautiful gift. It feels like something to be protected and differing opinions aren't a safe topic. 

Because here's the truth. I do have opinions. I listen to the news and read news sites. I have made some idealogical decisions on how I want to live the life God's given me. How I am raising kids and interacting with the world are all guided by my views and opinions. My past experiences. As they do for each of us. Sometimes' those choices are similar to others, and sometimes they are the polar opposite. Most of the time, if my opinion is different from yours, I won't say much until I can change the subject.

As I've continued to get older, that safety filter of not wanting to offend others is becoming thinner. I am becoming bolder in sharing my thoughts and opinions with others. Not because I care less about others, but rather that I care less about what others think about me. Instead of being a people-pleaser, I want to be a peace-maker. Rather than feeling insecure when someone else doesn't have the same opinions and responses as me, I am confident in who Christ is making me into.  At the end of my life, I don't want to be known as someone who didn't stand up and speak boldly. I want to be known for standing up for what has become my core beliefs and values. Even when they are different from yours. 

What about you? Are you a people pleaser? What holds you back? If you aren't a people pleaser, what's your secret?

No comments:

Post a Comment