Wednesday, November 3, 2021

The Mask

In the late nineties, there was a movie called The Mask It starred Jim Carrey before he became a recluse  and Cameron Diaz when she was young enough to be considered a bomb shell and didn't look like a skeleton. It was a funny movie. The premise of the movie was there is a shy guy who liked a pretty girl. The shy guy finds an ancient artifact allowing him to become outspoken and fun. Doing outrageous antics and being smooth so he can win his lucky lady. Bad guy boyfriend gets jealous, steals the mask good and evil duke it out for both the girl and to save the world. The End.

via GIPHY

 How often do we do this? Put on a mask and try to become who others want us to be? I used to do it all the time. I had different masks for different groups and interactions. Put on the brave face for other moms. Make sure and have my Bible study leader on for this day. Wear tough but fair mask when being a parent. Be fun and sexy when my husband is around. All the different mask switching was as exhausting as watching a teenager pick out their preferred Axe body spray. 

Most of the time, my masks could hold up. But when I would spend more time with one particular group, they could start to see the ties on my masks. They would see my true self peeking out the persona I was trying to be. Because no one can keep an illusion forever.  

What the Lord has been revealing to me is to stop trying to be something I am not. It's exhausting,

embarrassing, and leaves me with an icky feeling in the pit of my stomach that someone is going to find out what I am REALLY like. All that emotional energy to be what others want me to be left me to exhausted to be who God made me to be. 

God created me for a purpose, He created you for a purpose as well. We can't do that if we are running around trying to be someone other than who God wants. He teaches us who we are. Through the holy scriptures, godly wisdom from friends and being among true and authentic believers of Jesus.  We are each created in the image of the Father. By His grace and provision we can be who He wants us to be. 


No comments:

Post a Comment