Thursday, February 10, 2022

The Proper Attitude of Christ

 

Growing up in church, I was never sure how I was supposed to feel about the character traits and gifts I had as part of my personality. There was a little bit of gladness or joy that I could sing, but only when I sang church music. There was a whole lot of tamping down of my ability to pick up on dance steps, because my church wasn't a big proponent of dancing. I was good at leading others and getting work done in school, but somehow that wasn't always praised inside my church building. There was a lot of confusion for a young woman eager to serve Jesus without a clear set of instructions on how that was supposed to look. 

I knew that I had leadership skills, I could tell a story and explaining the Bible was natural for me. I also knew that I was supposed to be humble about my gifts and that promoting my self was seen as not trusting God. So how was I supposed to share the gifts God gave me with the world? What is the right way to handle the Gospel of Truth? I didn't know at the time. But thankfully, God has shown me some of His truth to help me on this journey.

via GIPHY

 These are a few of the truths that build the foundation for who Christ says we are. 

1. We are saved. Christ came into the world to save the lost. That is what you are if you have confessed Jesus as Lord. John 10:9 says that Jesus is "the gate; whoever enters through Me will be saved." That is our first step to having a right opinion of ourselves. 

2. We are conquerors. Because we are loved by God, we are "more than conquerors." Meaning we walk in the victory over death and sin that came when Jesus arose from the dead. Let's remember that the next time we feel defeated and heavy-laden with the burdens of this world. We don't carry those anymore! We have the gift of surrendering them to Jesus. Not that we won't have troubles, because we will, but because we no longer carry them alone. 

3. We are equipped with every good thing that we will need to do the work of God according to Hebrews 13:21. God already knows what He has in store for you to do. Maybe that's being a CEO, maybe it's being a mom at home, maybe it's being a mountain climber. Whatever it is, God has set in you the gifts, talents, abilities and natural skills you will need to get the job done. Just keep doing the work for Jesus and not to impress others. 

4. We are to be empty. When we each made a choice to follow Jesus, we agreed to empty ourselves of all our old parts. All the sin and selfishness, all the broken ways we respond to the world, and any other part of us that needed to be removed we gave permission to the Holy Spirit to remove. Once emptied out, we then are able to be filled back up with the things of God. In Romans 15:13, Paul says, "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."

5. Finally, and probably most importantly; we are to be humble. Ephesians 4:2 says we are to "be completely humble and gentle with one another...". Yes, we have all the amazing things listed above, but our attitude should be that of a servant. Like Jesus Christ's attitude was. Who being in the very likeness of God did not consider equality with Him something to be used to His advantage (Philippians 2:6). Instead, Christ humbled Himself to the point of death. That is our example. To be so humble and gentle that we would be willing to die for those we are in contact with us. This is only done by the power of the Holy Spirit in us. 

Go forward with all the authority of a child of the King. Serve humbly and walk faithfully my friend. 


via GIPHY

No comments:

Post a Comment