Thursday, July 2, 2015

Let freedom ring... But only if you agree with me

Recently there's been a lot of hullabaloo of people wanting rights. The right to be whoever they want. The right to marry who ever they want. There's been a lot of talk of tolerance and equal rights. 

There's also been a lot of talk about those who would be opposed to the majority opinion are somehow closed minded and full of hate. This is a lie. 

I have found that those who have a strong conviction about something are often open to hearing an opposing view so they can argue why they are right. Some people enjoy a spirited debate. I'm not one of them, but there are those out there. 

I am all for love winning.  I think that means both sides being willing to listen. Not just each side hearing a negative thought as they compose their arguments in their heads. I want each side to really slow down their opposing arguments to here and maybe understand an opinion that is different. 

I'm trying to be open and understanding. I want to hear the cries of those hurting and help them. I'm trying to figure out how to love sinners, myself the chief sinner I need to love.  I'm trying to teach my kids these lessons as well. 

I don't know what that will look like going forward, I think it's probably going to be hard and messy as most lessons worth learning are. 

 I ask for grace and peace. For me, for you and that we would extend those two qualities first. That I would remember that it's more important to be kind than it is to be right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment