Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Half-way Hostess

 I have a secret. It's nothing scandalous or outrageous. It's the fact that I am a half-way hostess. I hate to clean. There are probably a hundred other things that I can think of to do besides clean. However, to not clean would mean that my house rapidly evolves into an episode of Hoarders, and this is equally appalling to me.  

I like to have people over. My idea of entertaining is to throw paper plates on our table and serve dinner


out of the dishes it's cooked in. Or even better, order some pizza and throw the boxes open. It's not to make a thematic center piece and have matching silver and glasses. I'm not into Pinterest pictures of holiday decorations. I'm no-nonsense when it comes to dishes, Correll ware for the adults, plastic for those under five. While I appreciate the attention to detail when I have been in homes decorated like a magazine photo shoot, I don't always feel comfortable in those places. I would much rather have my home be a place of warmth and relaxation than to have it be a museum exhibit of cleanliness and do not touch.

As I've gotten older, I am appreciating more the calmness a well-put together home brings. When things are picked up and put away, or at least I can shut the door after throwing all the chaos into it, I feel more relaxed. It helps others in my home feel less anxious as well. It helps us find things better. When my kids are older they can also keep track of their mess and clean it up. They help out with taking care of the house as well. They can leave their room a shambles as long as I can shut their doors.  

When an invitation comes for you to join me at my home, it might be tidy. It might even be recently cleaned, but it's not going to be a place where I vacuum after you step on the rug. You will probably see some random boxes of tea lights or coupons to the fast food restaurant down the street on the counter. You will also find a warm smile and laughter. A place that you and your kids can come on over to play and relax. I think those things go a long way in making a successful party. Come on over any time. And if you give me enough notice, I might even vacuum for you. But don't expect me to mop.

No comments:

Post a Comment