Wednesday, August 19, 2015

When it is to much.

Yesterday, I wrote about being enough. And how each of us is enough. I hinted at the fact there will be days when we don't feel like enough. And that is ok. 

But what about the times when there are a string of days that we don't feel like enough? What about the times when there truly doesn't seem to be anything left? When the days of negative thoughts and multiple losses tally up to weeks or even months? What then? How do we go forward from that? 

When I have gotten to that place the first thing I do is admit to someone I'm there. Whether a friend, my husband, a therapist or a pastor. We need to admit our feelings out loud. It gives a starting place. And acknowledging our feelings to someone else gives us accountability to do something. 

The second thing I do is start praying. I start asking others to pray. And I make an appointment with a therapist. Friends are great, there are people who go to school to help people with mental illness. Another deserve every penny they get for the help they give. 

Another thing I do is let go of some of the extras. I cut out activities and responsibilities. I let other people help me. If you keep pushing thru and keeping busy, you are going to crash and burn. It might be a glorious humiliation or it may be a more private affair. Either way, the crash will come. 

Which brings me to the next part. Let yourself feel feelings. Sometimes we have big feelings. They take time to work thru. And sometimes that is necessary. Deal with your stuff or it will deal with you. You are worth the time/resource/money to deal with your stuff. 

Mental health issues have a stigma. They shouldn't, but they do. That's why I'm going to talk about mine. The more we open up and share, the less of a stigma there will be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment